ABST (Security Training) Course
The Security Services and Investigators Act (S-4.7, 2008) requires that anyone who works as a professional to “protect an organization’s property, personnel and information against fire, theft, vandalism, and illegal entry” must have a license. To obtain this license to practice as a security professional, an individual must complete a mandatory training program and write a provincial licensing exam.
The Hamptons College Alberta Basic Security Training (ABST) course in Calgary is designed to prepare candidates for the provincial licensing exam. Our excellent instructors have rich experiences in the security industry and have over 20 years of experience teaching. The Hamptons College ABST course is designed to provide participants with the hands-on training and knowledge they need to excel as security professionals and their roles and responsibilities as security professionals.
At the completion of this training and after obtaining the provincial licence, candidates could be employed in the industry as:
- Loss prevention officers in major corporations and institutions
- In-house security
- Alarm responders
- Bodyguards or executive security personnel
- Dog patrol services
Hamptons College in-class ABST Course
Cost for in-class ABST course at Hamptons College is $260 per participant. Included in this cost are course materials and proctoring of the provincial licencing exams at Hamptons College at the completion of the course.
- At least 18 years of age
- Fluent in English language (at least level 5 Canadian Language Benchmark)
- No serious criminal convictions that have not been pardoned
Note: The ABST is also accepted in British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.
Mandatory Provincial Exam
Upon completion of the Hamptons College ABST course, the candidate will become eligible to write the mandatory proctored solicitor general’s provincial exam. Pass mark for this exam and for licensure is 80%.
Graduation and Licencing
In order to graduate and be allowed to sit for the licencing exams, candidates must successfully complete the 38.5 hour in-class basic security training course.
Hamptons College in-class ABSaLicencing Application Steps on Successfully Completing the Course and Passing the Provincial ExamsT Course
- Have a member of the police service, peace officer, or commissioner of oaths, employed by the police service, sign the back of your passport photo
- Apply and obtain an employment police information check (PIC), must include CPIC, vulnerable sector, and local database
- Complete all sections of the application form — PRINT AND CAPITALS ONLY
- Sign both part 5 and 6 of the form
- Must include photocopies of both sides of two government-issued identifications
- Provide photocopies of proof of training
- Submit your domestic or international application with all additional documents to:
P.O. Box 1023, Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2M1
Or by courier
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Safety
9th Floor, 10365, 97th Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7